Office of the
State Fire Marshal

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How do I get information about the Delaware fire service?
Contact the Delaware Volunteer Firefighters Association at

Q. How do I contact my local fire company?
Click here to find your local fire company.

Q. How do I request Statement of Verification the fire that occurred at my house?
Email your request to

Q. How do I report malicious fire damage that occurred to my property?
Contact 9-1-1 and report the incident.

Q. Are employees with the Office of the State Fire Marshal volunteers?
No, they are State of Delaware employees and are compensated with a salary and benefits. For employment opportunities click here

Q. Is the Office of the State Fire Marshal affiliated with my local fire company?
The Office of the State Fire Marshal is a State agency. Your local fire company is a separate non-profit
organization. Although each agency works closely together, they are not affiliated with each other.

Q. I think my child is playing with fire. What do I do?
Contact the State Fire Marshal’s Juvenile Firesetters Intervention Program at (800) 432-8500.

Q. Are Deputy Fire Marshals employed in the Office of the State Fire Marshal police officers?
Yes, the deputy fire marshals are sworn and certified police officers.

Q. I want to give information about a crime but do not what to leave my name. What can I do?
Contact Delaware Crime Stoppers at (800) TIP-3333. You will not be asked to reveal your name.

Q. I think I saw a fire code violation in my local grocery store. What do I do?
That information is important to us. Please contact us at or call one of our
three divisional offices listed on our Home page.

Q. Does a deputy fire marshal inspect my child’s school?
Yes, all private, public, and parochial schools (K-12) are inspected annually at the beginning of the school